Last Updated on by Aardvark
Do you like weed? Do you like candy? Then you’ll love weed candy.
As the legality of marijuana production and consumption continues to expand, so too do the methods by which cannabis enthusiasts partake. Joints, bongs, spliffs, blunts, thai sticks, vaporizers, dabbing — they’re all becoming more and more popular as new consumers enter the market.
But all these methods require that you ingest the wacky weed by burning it and inhaling the smoke. What if you don’t want to smoke? What if you can’t smoke for various medical reasons? Are you left “not high” and dry?
Thankfully, the answer is no. There is another option: weed candy.
We’re all familiar with the “special brownie,” but cannabis-infused edibles come in so many more varieties: cookies, drinks, pills, snacks, spreads, and even candies.
In this article, we’ll focus on that last option — weed candy — and give you all the gooey details on this tasty treat.
Weed Candy: A Great Alternative To Smoking
Table of Contents
- Weed Candy: A Great Alternative To Smoking
- Different Types Of Weed Candy
- How Weed Candy Enters Your System
- Impacts Of Weed Candy On Your System
- Who Can Benefit From Weed Candy
- Quality Concerns Regarding Weed Candy
- Where To Start
- How To Make Weed Candy
- The Best Weed Candy Comes From High-Quality Cannabis
Weed Candy: A Great Alternative To Smoking
As already mentioned, weed candy is a great alternative for those who can’t smoke or don’t want to smoke. Those on supplemental oxygen can still get the benefits of marijuana without the risk of explosion and death.
Similarly, patients suffering from eating disorders, digestive disorders, and nausea due to chemotherapy can find relief from their symptoms by directly ingesting the low doses of cannabidiol (CBD) found in high-CBD/low-THC cannabis candy.
Another great reason people choose to consume their cannabis via candy is because it’s more discreet. No smoke. No smell. No coughing. No open flame. You can get your fix wherever you are, whenever you want.
Another interesting effect of getting your cannabis via candy — and one that many people prefer — is that the effects last for quite a bit longer compared to smoking. This is because the candy, and the cannabis it contains, must first be digested.
Smoking/inhaling, on the other hand, is a much faster process because the smoke moves directly through your lungs into your bloodstream without the need for intermediary steps.
Different Types Of Weed Candy
Variety is the spice of life, and consuming cannabis candy is no exception. Weed candy takes many forms, the most popular of which are lozenges (like Jolly Ranchers), lollipops (food on a stick is always better), and gum.
The type of candy you choose, though, will depend on your situation. For office workers, class attenders, and those concerned about appearances, the lozenge is the most discreet. At other times, though, a nice lollipop or piece of gum can really liven up a slow afternoon.
Weed Candy For The 21st Century
Advances in cannabis technology have yielded some pretty cool stoner stuff. But few reach the level of nanoencapsulated THC. Too much of a mouthful for you? Just call it Nanobidiol for short.
Nanobidiol is made using a cutting-edge process that minimizes each THC molecule and then surrounds it with a special membrane that gives the THC some pretty unique qualities.
Nanobidiol is not only smaller than regular THC, but it’s also more water-soluble. This decrease in size and increase in water solubility makes the THC more bioavailable.
That means you’ll feel the head high in two to 10 minutes (6 times faster than other weed candy on the market!). You won’t have to wait an hour or more like you do with other edibles.
Where can you get a taste of Nanobidiol technology? In three types of weed candy for the 21st century.
InstaGummy is a tasty, chewable gummy that delivers a powerful and fast THC kick without the long wait of other edibles.
With InstaGummy, you get the convenience and dosing accuracy of a pre-made edible with a fast-acting head high you can’t get from any other orally administered product on the market.
Plus, InstaGummy comes in pharmaceutical-grade, child-resistant packaging, so you never have to worry about it falling into the wrong hands.
There’s only one thing better than a mint — that’s a mint with a dose of THC baked right in. That’s InstaMints — a deliciously minty way to get the THC you crave.
InstaMints are tasty treats that dissolve in your mouth in under a minute to deliver a powerful and fast THC kick without the long wait of other edibles.
With InstaMints, you get the convenience and dosing accuracy of a pre-made edible with a head high that happens in minutes instead of hours.
You can’t get this type of instant experience from any other orally administered product on the market. That’s why we call them InstaMints.
InstaFizzy dissolves and effervesces in water — hence the name InstaFizzy — to deliver a powerful and fast head high without the long wait of other edibles.
InstaFizzy is available in five fun flavors and is discreet enough that you can take it anywhere. Just add water and you’re good to go.
How Weed Candy Enters Your System
Weed candy enters your system in two ways: through the mouth and through the stomach. When the marijuana candy begins to dissolve in your mouth, cannabidiol is absorbed into the bloodstream via ducts under your tongue. This is known as oral uptake.
As the marijuana candy continues to dissolve, it’s mixed with saliva and swallowed into the stomach. Here, the sugary solution is further digested and absorbed into the bloodstream. This is known as gastrointestinal uptake.
For marijuana candy, the majority of the uptake occurs orally. That said, there is still a small portion that is swallowed into the stomach. That’s why the effects of cannabis candy often last longer than smoking — because they are slowly released via digestion.
While marijuana candy falls decidedly into the oral uptake category with most of the absorption occurring in the mouth, other edibles like brownies, cookies, and pills rely on gastrointestinal uptake.
Additionally, some edibles are designed to be absorbed in both the stomach and the mouth. These types of edibles are called hybrids. Infused drinks and chocolate bars fall into this category.
Impacts Of Weed Candy On Your System
As mentioned earlier, the impacts of weed candy on your system can be thought of in terms of speed and duration.
Smoking your marijuana is like a drag race: its effects are felt almost immediately but they’re over just as quickly.
Cannabis candy, on the other hand, is like a NASCAR race: the experience, though still great, takes anywhere from 30 minutes to one hour to get going.
In addition, the effects of marijuana candy tend to last quite a bit longer (from two to six hours) because the cannabidiol is slowly digested in the stomach.
Who Can Benefit From Weed Candy
The benefits of weed candy are wide-ranging. Individuals suffering from both acute and chronic disorders can find relief inside a marijuana candy.
Those suffering from chronic pain, autoimmune disorders, insomnia, nausea, muscle inflammation, nervous system disorders, and muscle spasms can benefit from the way marijuana candy is processed into the body.
Individuals who suffer from gastrointestinal disorders like Crohn’s Disease are especially benefited by marijuana candy and other edibles.
This is because Crohn’s Disease is an autoimmune disorder of the gastrointestinal tract. Marijuana candy can deliver cannabinoids directly to the site of the disorder and provide much-needed relief.
Quality Concerns Regarding Weed Candy
Quality is always a concern when it comes to marijuana. Whether you get your fix by smoking or ingesting, you should at least verify the quality of the product you’re consuming. As it applies to weed candy, it’s important to keep a few simple things in mind.
Currently, there is no regulatory agency in place for marijuana candy. What this means is that there is no way to ensure the same commercial food-prep standards that apply elsewhere.
This can mean that trace amounts of allergens (gluten, nuts, pet dander, lactose) can find their way into the marijuana candy. For people allergic to these things, major problems can occur and interfere with the healing effects that the marijuana candy offers.
Similarly, there is no way to determine the quality of the cannabis used in the cannabis candy. Because the cannabis is hidden in the mix, it’s very easy for candy companies to dispose of reject marijuana that can’t be sold for smoking.
It’s not always possible, but purchasing a marijuana candy that has been lab-tested for potency and contaminants is preferable. At the very least, it’s important to get your marijuana candy from a trusted source.
The local dispensary that you’ve frequented for a number of years is a good place to start. If they don’t already sell marijuana candy, they might be able to find a reputable supplier.
Where To Start
If you’ve never tried weed candy before, we suggest that you purchase a piece or two from a trusted source and see what you think. If you like the taste and the effects it produces, you could then try cooking up your own batch of marijuana candy.
As with every other method of cannabis consumption, the important thing is that you enjoy the ride. So don’t stress about whether oral uptake is better than gastrointestinal or pulmonary. Just try a variety of delivery systems and go with your favorite.
How To Make Weed Candy
Before You Begin
Making weed candy demands a bit more effort than just dumping ground-up bud into a bowl with a few other ingredients.
In fact, it requires that you first remove the cannabinoids and terpenes from the plant matter so that your body can process them correctly.
If you don’t, it’ll be like adding chopped spinach to the mix — you might get a few nutritional benefits (or, it might make you sick), but you certainly won’t get high or receive the medicine you’re looking for.
The first step in any DIY weed candy recipe is separating the cannabinoids from the plant matter and keeping them suspended in either cannabis corn syrup or cannabis tincture (i.e., making an extract or concentrate).
Here are two of our favorite weed candy recipes — one using cannabis corn syrup, the other using cannabis tincture — that you can try in your very own kitchen.
Read through them first, choose the one that’s right for you, and get cooking!
Weed Candy With Cannabis Corn Syrup
The first step in making your own weed candy is whipping up a batch of cannabis corn syrup.
The nice thing about doing this first, is that you can use the concentrate you produce in any recipe that calls for a sweetener.
Cannabis Corn Syrup
- Slow cooker
- 3 cups of light corn syrup
- 1 ounce of finely-ground cannabis
- Food container with lid
- Rubber band (large enough to fit around the food container)
- Pour the corn syrup into the slow cooker and set it on medium heat.
- Let the syrup warm up until it is hot (but not bubbling). You may have to reduce the heat slightly to keep this from happening.
- Add the cannabis to the hot corn syrup.
- Soak the cannabis/corn syrup mix for at least four hours, stirring frequently.
- Be sure not to let it boil or you’ll ruin the whole batch.
- Cover the food container with two sheets of cheesecloth and secure it with the rubber band. You’re going to be pouring the corn syrup through the cheesecloth into the container so make sure the lid is off.
- Turn off the heat and let the corn syrup cool down a bit.
- Pour the cannabis corn syrup through the cheesecloth into the food container. Repeat by pouring through cheesecloth into another container as often as it takes to remove all the visible plant matter.
- Let the corn syrup cool.
- If making weed candy, continue into the next section. Otherwise, put the lid on the container and store in a cool, dark place (not the refrigerator).
Weed Candy With Cannabis Corn Syrup
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 ¼ cups of cannabis corn syrup
- 1 cup of water
- Candy molds
- Candy thermometer
- Heat sugar, cannabis corn syrup, and water in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Using the candy thermometer, bring the mixture to boil at 300-degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add food coloring and flavoring slowly. Stir well.
- Turn off heat.
- Carefully and quickly pour liquid into candy molds before it hardens.
- Remove candy from mold once it is finished cooling.
- Toss candy in sugar if desired.
Weed Candy With Cannabis Tincture
The nice thing about cannabis tincture is that you can use it by itself — no weed candy necessary.
That said, there is something fun and exciting about popping a piece of candy for fun or medication.
For more information on all things tincture, check out these articles from the HMJ blog:
- CBD Tincture: Uses, Benefits & Effects
- Marijuana Tinctures: Your Complete Guide
- Sublingual THC: What It Is And How To Use It
- Liquid THC: Everything You Need To Know
- 1 ounce of decarboxylated cannabis (any strain will do)
- Ultra-high-proof alcohol (e.g., Everclear)
- Glass canning jar with lid
- Cheesecloth or tea strainer
- Break, tear, shred, or grind your dry cannabis into a glass canning jar.
- Pour in enough alcohol to keep the plant matter covered even when it rehydrates and expands.
- Put a lid on the jar and shake it vigorously for two minutes.
- Stow the jar in your freezer.
- Once or twice a day, take the jar out of the freezer and give it a shake.
- After five days in the freezer, remove the jar from the cold and strain the tincture through a cheesecloth or tea strainer into another jar or bowl.
- Dispose of the leftover plant material.
- If you’re going to use the cannabis tincture by itself, distribute the liquid into a small, dark dropper bottle and store it in a cool, dry place (e.g., a closet or a cabinet).
- If you’re going to make weed candy, continue to the next section.
Weed Candy With Cannabis Tincture
- 1 cup of sugar
- ½ cup of light corn syrup
- ¼ cup of filtered water
- 2-3 tablespoons of cannabis tincture
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite flavoring
- Candy thermometer
- Candy molds
- Mix sugar, corn syrup, and water in a saucepan.
- Stir mixture over medium/high heat until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Once the ingredients combine and start boiling, insert the candy thermometer and monitor the liquid until it reaches 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the pan from the heat (keep thermometer in).
- When the temperature drops to 250 degrees Fahrenheit, add the cannabis tincture and the flavor.
- Stir until everything mixes together.
- Pour the mixture into the molds.
- Leave them to cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Remove from the mold and enjoy!
The Best Weed Candy Comes From High-Quality Cannabis
Weed candy can come from any strain and be of any quality. It can be headies, beasters, mids, or regs of Blue Dream, Chemdog, Yoda OG, Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies, or any of the more than 700 existing strains.
The best weed candy, however, comes from high-quality, organic buds.
For a truly righteous weed candy experience, we recommend only using a high-quality variety (headies or beasters) of your favorite strain. It will make the experience so much better.
Plus, with a good quality, organic strain — like those grown at Honest Marijuana — you’ll need less candy to experience the same effects. A little will go a long way.
You may have to pay a bit more for weed candy made from a high-quality extract, but you’ll be much happier with how you feel when you use it.
If you live in Colorado, find some Honest Marijuana and discover what the purest marijuana experience on the planet feels like. You won’t be sorry.
So don’t settle for an inferior weed candy. Get some made from the best buds on the planet — Honest Marijuana buds — and experience cannabis and candy the way it was meant to be.
For more information on all things cannabis and to check out our 100-percent all-natural marijuana products, visit HonestMarijuana.com today.